Monday, March 31, 2014

la fiesta de la señora dalloway

mrs. dalloway in bond street by yelena bryksenkova i'm so excited to share this project because it's the most creatively fulfilling thing i've ever done: a special edition of mrs. dalloway's party (a collection of short stories that virginia woolf wrote in the early 1920s, and which became the groundwork for her 1925 novel mrs. dalloway) for random house mondadori. the book, which comes out in spain this thursday, has a fully illustrated dust jacket and seven interior illustrations, one for each story (such as "mrs. dalloway in bond street," above).

i enjoyed every aspect of illustrating this book, especially the research. it also holds special meaning for me because it's a companion piece to the mondadori edition of a room of one's own (seen here), illustrated by my best friend becca stadtlander. more details to follow as soon as i get my hands on a copy!

8 comments:

Anne said...

OMG!! This the perfect commission for you! It's a dream come true for both parties! Cannot wait to see the other drawings! Felicitaciones!

Petra said...

Yelena, a beautiful illustration. I love books and growing up in a country (Czech Republik) where all books were illustrated, even the ones for adults, I miss illustrations in the current book culture so much. This is probably the reason why I can´t stop buying children books. I´m so happy your wonderful art will make a book into a little jewel. A good reason to start learning Spanish.
Petra

Anushka said...

This looks so beautiful! Congratulations on the publication, I'm looking forward to seeing more...

Jess said...

I love your illustrations, Mrs Dalloway is a fantastic project,your style suits it perfectly.
Jess x

yelena bryksenkova said...

thank you all so much! yes, it's definitely a dream project for me and i spent a couple of weeks just collecting images of clothes, interiors, patterns, photographs of old london...absolutely a pleasure, and i can't wait to share the rest of it with you!

petra,
i agree - i collect children's books for the same reason. i remember how important illustrations were to me when i read books as a child and i try to keep that in mind when i work.

y.

Line Katrin Moe said...

Wow, how beautiful!! I love the colors and the mood. Great work. An such excited project. I'm so happy for you:)

anatomiadelaintimidad said...

Congratulations. It's really beautiful. Very special.

katrin said...

It is absolutely enchanting! I happened to browse a copy in a book shop in Barcelona on holiday last month. Congratulations :)

FOLLOWERS