Tuesday, November 16, 2010

close encounters of the bookstore kind

i work at a major chain bookstore, where i am oft subjected to the madness and rudeness of the general public. these frequent encounters make me practically run home to tell the story in the evening, and are often so dazzling that i have taken to making quick ballpoint pen drawings of the local eccentrics on scraps of paper the second they are out of sight. i share them:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
and hey look, my "swedish horses" drawing was on where the lovely things are on sunday! i only started looking at the blog this week, on b's recommendation (she was featured in this gems of the week last month). i love a sensory overload!

12 comments:

anneemall said...

Haha, I work in a library so I know how it feels! The angry couple looks great... on your drawing.

tuulenhaiven said...

I can very much relate to this! I work in retail in a summertime tourist town. It can get ridiculous! Love your drawings - I've kept similar records, minus the illustrations. Keeps you on the safe edge of sane. :)

lauren said...

yes! these are lovely!

renilde said...

Haha....great!

Annie said...

these are so good! Reminds me of my waitressing days.

Mariah Tarvainen said...

HA the last one.

meghan said...

ahahahah these are great!! I love it

wren said...

This is too funny! I sell at farmers markets, and we get all sorts of characters there, too... =)

wren said...

sorry I made the last comment - if you want it, my website is wrenrobinson.com

Thanks!

yelena bryksenkova said...

thanks :)

Ted Blackman said...

Cartooning is such a great way to vent, isn't it. I like these.

udaya210 said...

Hello,
When I design custom invitations, I offer to design custom postage for my clients to complete the look of their invitation package. The party starts when the guests open their invitations, so setting the tone of the party with the invitation is important. But even before the envelope is opened, the first impression the guest has of the invitation is what’s on the outside.

FOLLOWERS